Tonight have been playing! In my Surface Pattern Class by Rachel Taylor we were given an assignment to create a line of stationery from a brief. The brief specified the elements desired in the line, and that it is to be aimed at a contemporary audience, trendy with a touch of sophistication. Do you think I hit the target audience? I hope so!
The class is comprised of many wonderful and talented aspiring designers. Most of them design digitally on their computers. While I am fascinated by what they create, I am too “hands on” (or maybe that should be “hands messy) to design that way. So I have taken my mixed media designs and manipulated them to finish this assignment. It’s much more my style…and much more fun for me!
I started with this background that I painted. I scanned it before adding the words or picture.
Then I manipulated it to create this pattern board – taking snippets of it that I thought were visually interesting.
From there I took the pieces of this pattern and repurposed them into the pieces of the stationery set according to the size specs from our brief. This was really fun for me to do. I am imagining seeing it on the shelves of Barnes & Noble and wanting to write on these with a fresh sharpened pencil!!